I love that everything we do has an Alley Oop in there! Out of Bounds Play, Fast Break and also one of our half court….hmmm…I don’t want to say options…but…one of our options in the half court has an Alley Oop.
Lately sessions have been getting more technical…which I like…
- Changing speeds and rhythm…using stutters/ hops.
- Lateral Dribbles
- Attack/Retreat …creating space to pass or shoot….or vice versa to get past a defender.
- Separation dribbles, crossovers/behind back/through legs/spins….combinations…using the above to set these moves up.
- Separation dribbles, crossovers/behind back/through legs/spins with one hand only also
- Then play 1v1, but…you have to try these moves…if you get passed the defender great, stop and try again. We like when the player put through the defenders legs too…or create their own tricks.
- 2 steps
- 1 step
- Missing step
- “Wrong” hand
- Inside hand outside foot
- Hop lay ups
- Fadeaways off 1 foot (drive for a left lay up from the left, whilst dribbling push into defender with left foot and then pick up the ball..1st step right foot….look for contact/push off with a gentle bar arm… land on left foot with body square to the basket…shoot right)
- Spin…(from left wing…drive middle with right hand…spin/pivot on left foot…this is your first step…as you come out of the spin…jump on to your right…second step….finish left….claro?)
- All 1 handed…over or under handed… off the dribble or behind the back…the players use others all the time but that is their choice…we only practice off the dribble though.
- We also use the dribble moves from before, in 3’s…2 on one baseline 1 on the other, dribble to FTL more or less…try some moves, pass full court off the dribble…
- Oh…Alley Oops too…in 2v0 breaks…finish with an oop!
All of this is done with a guided discovery approach…”lets see who can…”, “try to…” no pressure, no races…they are free to try all in training and games…experiment…find their way. This is helping the players define their style too…one player uses that spin a lot another fadesaway…another tries to put the ball through defenders legs or put it around his defender. We love the creativity of the group and their willingness to try what we give them. Without a doubt this comes from the Head Coaches encouragement after the players have succeeded or failed with the skill they attempted.
The shooting we have done is working out as 120 shots each per session… in 3s…2 basketballs and we have 3 baskets between the 12 of them.
- Static …making sure we receive the passes from the left and right within their 3 sets
- 1 dribble pull ups
- 2 dribble pull ups
- Free throws
Again…all at a chilled pace. I have been here for 6 weeks and we do this every session…so 3 times a week. Eventually we will get to receiving the ball in movement then shooting and also races/competitions…but not for a while…possibly a 3rd of the season like this.
Our first 2 games last weekend v Real Madrid B and Estudiantes B…too easy…nothing learned….things will change as the teams we played were 2000 born and we are 99s once we play the 99s of Real Madrid, we will see where we are at…some highlights though!!!! We knocked down 25 or more 3’s in 2 games…good percentages too!! Age 12…size 7 ball…all with great technique!
Good Luck to the 5 guys from our team who were asked to play with the Madrid Selection.
Any questions or requests….get in touch.
Click “follow”…to get updates of the latest blogs…because if you don’t, you won’t….