To follow up the last blog…We now talk about the half court side of the game…keep in mind the chosen coaches main principles:
- Pure 1v1, the ability to create for yourself
- Extra passes…the touch passes, no looks, just about to shoot….and at the last second….pass…!
- Attack the open space you create with the pass, if there is no space, no dribbling.
- Move the defence from Left to Right
Again…no rocket science…as you will see…
- 1v1 Isolation whenever possible
- Move defence from Left to Right
- Read the defenders….feet, eyes, where the help is etc…
Pass and Cut
- Pass and cut to the basket
- 1v1 Isolation…off ball…space out and cut hard…again…Read the defenders….feet, eyes, where the help is etc…
- “Attack the open space you create with the pass, if there is no space, no dribbling”
- Pass and cut, but if the first cut doesn’t work…you have space to 1v1 with a dribble…no complex rotations or continuity.
Use of a low post
- Cut off a low post
- 1v1 from the post
- Pass and relocate
- High low etc
Now…These are all basic concepts that we see in basketball day in day out…and that is what is beautiful…we see them all in the pro leagues, they are the beginning stages of more complex systems. Tactically, this is all he is going to teach this season.
The coach believes in freedom on the court, room to think, create and grow, the players must develop themselves…the coach on many occasions…picks his starters, and then for the rest of the game is as quiet as a mouse….does not say a word…picks a player to take a timeout and gives them the clipboard…he only substitutes players to get even minutes and does not even give advice to players entering the court or to players coming off…this means his team use the above concepts when and where they want and at when THEY feel its right.
He told me this is a major part of their development…
They have to solve problems….work together…find their own leader…persevere…
Also bask in the glory of the good times they create for themselves…
For me…in his silence, he is developing them massively.
Any questions or blog requests….get in touch.
Click “follow”…to get updates of the latest blogs…because if you don’t, you won’t….